Monday, August 2, 2010

Does it Really Matter?

Recently a friend told me I should be blogging - regularly. I kind of laughed it off and then asked - ok, blog about what? And she said "blog about being the mother of a 4 year old at the age of 48; about training and completing my first sprint triathlon [again] at 48; about life in my shoes." At first I thought she was crazy, but I keep thinking about it. In the scheme of life, would I say anything that really matters? Maybe yes, maybe no. But one thing is for sure, what I say does matter to Emma.

The other day Emma [my beautiful 4 year old daughter] asked me what God looks like [question number 7056]. I respond as I do with everything - "what do you think?" We got into this big discussion as we're driving [which is where all big discussion take place] that included length and color of hair, height, build, clothes, eyes, hands. We have all seen the pictures of God with long flowing robes and long silver hair. I like to think of God more like a grandpa; loving clear eyes, strong yet soft hands, always ready to hold a hand and/or give a hug. His hair is gray and kept short, but there's always a strand or two that doesn't stay in place. And clothes, he's wearing work pants and a comfortable button down collar shirt - all clean, but soft and worn.

Well, that's my picture of God, but how do I help Emma define her picture of God? I'm sure there will be more discussions in the days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment