This is what I wrote in 'E's' baby book in August 2006:
"One of the speakers was Bono, the lead singer of the Band U2 and Time Magazine's 2005 Person of the Year. He was a taped interview conducted by Bill Hybels, Senior Pastor of Willow Creek Community Church. I was so impressed by Bono that I took some notes to share with you [E]."
- Always reserve the right to be ridiculous.
- He finds Christians difficult - very judgmental and only looking at surface issues.
- He likes to be in the middle of conflict - he actually said "in the middle of a conflict is a great place to be. It allows duality. I see his point here and agree with the concept - be able to see all sides / perspectives. But, be prepared. Sometimes you have to chose a side.
- Celebrity is currency.
- Great ideas have the same power as a great melody.
- The church is historically behind the curve.
- Love thy neighbor - who is our neighbor?
- Stop asking God to bless the things you are doing. Find what God is doing. It's already blessed.
- It's not a burden, a duty. It's an opportunity, an adventure.
So here it is 2009 and Bono was back at the Leadership Summit to report on what he was seeing in the fight to end extreme poverty. Again, this was a taped interview conducted by Bill Hybels.
- Only love can leave such a mark.
- Love thy neighbor" is a command, not advice.
- Intuition is greater than intellect.
- There's always resistance on the ongoing journey of equality.
- If you lead anything do something.
Here's to learning and growing. J